Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Farewell, Jack

Today was my father-in-law's funeral and Paul and I went to Chichester for the service. We had a mixed sad/happy day, with fond memories remembering Jack, and Paul bravely spoke at the service (which took a lot of courage - I would not be able to do it). We had a lovely lunch afterwards in The Royal Oak nearby and my mum kindly came up yesterday to do the school runs to give us time to send him off properly. Jack would have approved.

On the brighter side, the four hours in the car meant four hours of knitting, as Paul was driving, so here, especially for Michelle, is Birch in progress (knitted in Rowan Kid Silk Haze, colour Trance):


According to the progress calculator I am 71% of the way there! Here is one leaf, to show you how pretty the pattern is:



Michelle, of course, has very exciting things on her mind, as she and Nathalie are soon going to be opening a yarn store, Stash Yarns, in Putney, south-west London. Us fellow knitters can hardly contain our excitement!

In the meantime, here are some exciting finds from a local junk shop, Memories of Mortlake, which sells a wonderfully eclectic mix of things. I found some knitting needles, including some faux tortoiseshell ones and some others that I am pretty sure are bone as they have the most wonderful weight to them, and some giant wooden needles that I thought were fun:


I also found this lovely purple yarn:

I am a bit of a sucker for the colour purple and this feels lovely so I could not resist. Not bad for £3.50!

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

It is so beautiful! I love the colour as well. You are a very patient woman!

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Why is it I never find anything worth buying in charity shops? I imagine it is because you have got there first!

Birch looks great - did you manage to do that in the car?

My InterweaveKnits arrived about half-an- hour ago!

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just noticed on my last 'comment' it says 7.41 a.m. - it is actually 3.40 p.m.......

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home