Monday, May 15, 2006

Knitting at school - day 1

Well, it was the start of arts week at my children's school today and I was doing some knitting with one of the classes. The big needles were a huge hit

and what was interesting was that the children could see really easily how to knit on this scale and had few problems with the manipulation, despite the massive needles. What was much harder for them was when we moved on to a smaller scale and started working on some bookworm bookmarks, a fabulous pattern I found on the internet:


This was much more fiddly for them and required far more dexterity and some of the children found it quite a challenge. The pattern for the bookworm calls for knit2tog across a row (this is what gives the worm its twist) and the children understood this but were not always able to manipulate the needles easily. However, at the end of the morning we had this fine array of worms

and the children were really pleased with their handiwork! This was a great project and the children felt a huge sense of achievement that they had something to show at the end of the morning.

I am knitting with another class tomorrow, so have cast on more worms tonight!

Here are some close-ups of the identity parade so far...

6 Comments:

Anonymous caroline said...

Looks like it was good fun at school. I love the bookmarks - I might try them with my son, but I'll get some googley eyes first.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Didn't you all do well! I am amazed the children managed those huge knitting needles, I tried them once at a craft fair and couldn't manipulate them at all.....

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Bry said...

Fantastic idea Ingrid... wish you were a parent at East Sheen!

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home