Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Secret Pal 8 questionnaire

How exciting - the Secret Pal 8 questionnaire is through. So, here goes...
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I really like knitting with 4-ply yarns, particularly merino wool, silk/wool mixes and cotton yarns. I do not like synthetic yarns.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Anything! I have a lovely handmade wooden box and also an old sweet tin!
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting for about 30 years and am probably advanced, although I don't like working from charts much - I like my instructions written out! I like the rhythm of knitting more than anything, so always have several things on the go as I like to have projects for different levels of concentration!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No. But maybe I should set one up - check back later! Have added one here.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Lavender and anything by Space NK!
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes - much more so since having children! I love chocolate and also anything fruity!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I have dabbled in canvaswork and used to own a spinning wheel, but do not any longer - although I had a go at spinning again recently and really enjoyed it! I have done patchwork but mostly I just love knitting!
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like modern pop (to do the ironing too - I listen to Magic FM a lot) and also like Bach, Mozart - anything rhythmic! I do not have an MP3 player (though am very tempted to get one).
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Purples and reds and dark greens are my favourites, although I like autumn colours too. I do not like blue or yellow. I find blues too cold and yellow makes me look ill! I like colours to be rich, so do not really like pastels either.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married, with three young children, Ellen aged 7 and twins Edward and Lily, who are 5. I have a ginger cat, Max, and a goldfish.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
All of the above!
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
It depends on my mood. I really like knitting presents for people, so, whatever I think people will like!
13. What are you knitting right now?
A shawl, Birch, for my sister and a baby cardigan for a friend and a cardigan for me. (This does not include all my UFOs!)
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes! There is nothing better!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
It depends on the project - probably straight, although I like Addi circulars and would like to try their bamboo circulars. I really like vintage metal needles - the coloured aluminium ones, and also bamboo or wood (especially unusual woods, like ebony and rosewood).
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I own a swift, but do not have a ball winder (that would be me!).
17. How did you learn to knit?
When I was a child, but my tension was all over the place and I retaught myself at university. I have been an obsessive knitter ever since.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
Oooh - about 15 years (gulp!).
19. What is your favorite holiday?
By the sea. Preferably with some time to myself - not something that happens very often.
20. Is there anything that you collect?
Vintage patterns and knitting paraphernalia such as old gauges and needles, although I have been selling some of my patterns recently on eBay in an effort to declutter. Yarn! I also love vintage clothes, although find it hard to get these in my size (I am a 16-18).
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I subscribe to Interweave Knits and Knitting magazine and Rowan International. I usually buy Vogue Knitting from the newsagent. I would love some back issues of Interweave Knits as I have only been a subscriber since last autumn. I would also really like any of the Barbara Walker books. I would love some Crystal Palace sock needles and would love to try some Lorna's Laces yarn or Art Yarns or Koigu.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Continental knitting because it is quicker and, because so many patterns now seem to incorporate crochet, I would like to learn crochet.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I do knit socks although I have very strange feet with very high insteps, so am difficult to knit for! My shoe size is 7.
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
26 July

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jill said...

Most interesting.....I too have a very high instep but have found a way of doing socks that allows for this - a deeper heel-flap and picking up more stitches down each side gives me another inch or so,this works for me.....

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home