Friday, June 09, 2006

Lara

Well, Lara is finished, and I am pleased with her. Here she is on the hanger:

And here she is on me:


She was a fast, easy knit and the yarn was lovely to work with, gliding smoothly over the needles as I knitted. I made the sleeves a bit longer than specified and might still add an edging round the bottom, although I will probably leave her as she is. It is, of course, far too hot to wear her now, so I shall lend her to Michelle and Nathalie to display in Stash Yarns! I did dig out a lovely brooch to anchor the fronts together, though:

I bought this in Moscow in 1991 and love the detailed painting and the sheen of the mother of pearl. It seems a long time ago that we were able to go on trips like the one Paul and I did at Christmas in 1991 - we took the train to Moscow, catching the ferry from Harwich and then boarding the train at Hoek of Holland and arriving in Moscow two days later. I took Dr Zhivago to read on the train and dreamed of Omar Sharif and Julie Christie in the snow... How appropriate that Lara the jacket now wears a brooch that could have been worn by Lara Antipova.

And, because they are looking so glorious, here is one of the roses blooming for the second time this year at the front of the house:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Dipsy said...

Gosh. I can't believe how gorgeous your Lara is, I was stunned to see it, seriously. Such a great pattern, and the color you chose for it is just perfect! And it suits you so very well! This, together with the pretty brooch, is a really amazing piece that'll bring you joy for many years, I'm sure about that! Fantastic work!

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Jill said...

It looks great on you, you will have to wear that colour more often! And it will be very warm when the winte comes......Beautiful brooch.....

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Roberta said...

It looks fabulous on you!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Lara is fab, I fondled it today in the shop, so soft and the colour is beautiful. It will be going in the window tomorrow so keep a look out!

9:20 PM  
Blogger margaret said...

Lovely! (To get away from the russian theme, the open doors in the house behind you look very 17th century dutch...)

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home