Thursday, July 27, 2006

Birthday ups and downs

Well, today was my birthday and I had a lovely start to the day with the children giving me cards and my husband giving me a voucher for Stash Yarns - yippee! Then Ellen wanted to go to the Florence Nightingale Museum (my birthday treat!) - she went there on a school trip this year and really enjoyed it, so I got the kids ready and we set off, as I had promised that we would go.

It was another sweltering day so we just went to the museum, which was very interesting, and the children all did a quiz sheet while they were going round, which was fun. Florence Nightingale made a huge difference to hospital care and it was fascinating learning more about her achievements.

It was too hot to stay in town once we had been to the museum, so we came home for lunch. Lily (my youngest) finds this oppressive heat difficult to cope with so staying out too long leads to tears and tantrums. We were getting ready to go to the library later in the afternoon when I realised that my wallet was no longer in my bag and, to my horror, realised that it must have gone missing at Waterloo (I bought the children croissants to eat on the train home and figure that is when it was stolen). So, I then had the daunting task of cancelling all my cards and dealing with that. What a birthday present! I am sad about my wallet (a lovely pink one!) and I had just taken some cash out to pay the babysitter in the evening (Paul and I went to Tas with my sister and her husband in the evening). But the real hassle is all my cards - bank cards, membership cards, driving licence - what a nightmare!

I did have a lovely surprise from my secret pal, though, as this arrived on Tuesday:



And inside was this lovely card and scrummy sweets:

Thank you so much secret pal - and thank you for timing it just right for my birthday!

I now need to try to forget about my wallet and get on with the job of replacing everything that was in it and trying to concentrate on the nice things about my birthday. Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow!

4 Comments:

Anonymous dawn said...

Happy belated birthday and commiserations on losing your wallet. It's happened to me too, not much fun trying to cancel cards and wait for the new ones.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Happy late birthday greetings! Am SO sorry about the wallet - I remember it was pink! - I was pick-pocketed at High St.Kensington some years back, lost cash and a very nice purse daughter had brought back from Australia, but luckily no cards. I had them in a zipped side pocket in a shoulder bag. I was really upset at the time, I think that it was I had been identified as a victim. I suppose nowadays you can consider yourself lucky you weren't pushed over or hit on the head, but it is all such a hassle.

The museum - is it the one by St. Thomas' Hospital?

5:22 PM  
Blogger caroline said...

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you", albeit for yesterday.

I am so sorry to hear about your purse what a rotten middle to what sounds like an otherwise lovely day.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed it. Looking forward to seeing you Wednesday.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home