Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Good news

Well, a small miracle took place today. I was on my way back from the library with the children, having accomplished our first Reading Mission, when I got a call from the Lost Property office at Waterloo. They had recovered my wallet. I can't quite believe that it has come back to me - I was really sad about losing my lovely pink Radley wallet! And here it is, safely back with me after a trip to Waterloo with the children!



What was truly astonishing was that it was pretty much intact so, although I have cut up all my cards, at least they were in it! I am so relieved - and my faith in human nature has been somewhat restored. So, I think I was probably concentrating so hard on getting the children on to the train safely that I lost it through carelessness, rather than it being stolen. What a relief!

I was also cheered up this week by a friend who sent me these lovely Denyse Schmidt notecards - lucky me - and a really cute birthday card!




I haven't done any patchwork for ages and feel quite inspired to start something, although I need to get a few of my knitting projects finished before I do! I love the rhythm of sewing by hand (I like doing patchwork in the English way, using papers, which was taught to me when I was little by a Polish friend of my father's, who I watched, fascinated, as she sewed one day).

And I also got these in the post - the latest issue of the Rowan magazine and some back issues of Interweave Knits, which I bought on eBay.

These will make great holiday reading - we are heading off to Scarborough for a week on Friday to stay in Oscar, the luxury camping coach! We went there two years ago


and had a great time, so we are heading back now that the children are a bit older. Barbara and Steve, who run the bed and breakfast at Cloughton station, are wonderful hosts and so I am looking forward to our stay.

In the meantime, my group's Secret Pal 8 hostess has asked us to answer the following questions:

Someone has stolen your stash and all your books: now what are you going to do? Panic! Shriek, scream blue murder, behave like a demented, deranged, distraught knitting-less knitter! I think! But, judging by the past week's experience when my wallet was missing, I think that there are other things that I would panic about more - particularly photos, and personal, irreplaceable things. I do have a huge collection of knitting books and old magazines, including lots of Vogue Knitting magazines from the 1950s and 1960s and I think I would miss the items most that would be hardest to replace. Also, any projects that are in the 'pending' queue I would really miss, as I love planning what I am going to do next and like looking at the project before I start knitting it! As for my stash, I think I would miss all those special skeins I have tucked away waiting for the perfect recipient in the form of knitted gifts - I love looking at these special hanks, thinking about what I might do and who I night knit them for.

What would be the first thing you'd replace? Oooh - a tough question. I would probably start obsessively trying to build up my collection of all those hard-to-find items, like the vintage Vogues and particularly some lovely old patterns for cardigans that I love. I also have a small collection of old row counters and needles and would definitely have to try to find duplicates of these as they are great objects in themselves, as well as being useful! I love doing that kind of research, so it would probably become an obsession trying to remember exactly what I had and replacing each item. I think I would probably also replace the patterns I knit repeats of - for babies, for example - as these are fairly essential day-to-day items! As for yarn, where would I start? Probably the project I intended to do next - the Debbie Bliss cashmerino Dk - and then maybe the Handmaiden sea silk, as this is very special! Also, some sock yarns (Fleece Artist and Socks that Rock) and some cashmere yarn that I have, which is lovely to work with. Some yarns, like Kaalund Expressions, would be irreplaceable as they are discontinued, and I think this would be the hardest thing to bear!

What would you live without? Some of the DK cotton yarns I have, chenille (as I find this heard to knit with) and general yarns (of all sorts) for which I have no particular project in mind.

A couple of people have asked about the pattern I showed which I am planning to knit with the yarn my mum bought me for my birthday - it is a cardigan in the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK book and it really is a gorgeous pattern - this is coming to Scarborough with me as my holiday knitting!

1 Comments:

Blogger caroline said...

wow - I am so pleased that you got your purse back, I would be so sad to lose a Radley purse too.

Lucky you - Denyse Schmidt notelets. I am busy working on a quilt that has been inspired by her pattern book - to the detriment of my knitting (I will finish that Rowan shrug sometime - honest).

Hope you have a wonderful holiday - and don't eat too much rock!

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home