Friday, September 29, 2006

Zigzag progress

I heard this week that I have not got the job I was interviewed for a couple of weeks ago and while I am disappointed not to be offered it, I am also slightly relieved as I was anxious about whether the children are still too young for me to go back to work full time. A large part of me still wants to be with them most of the time they are out of school and indeed even when they are older I want to be there for them, so I am going to try to do a bit more freelance work and stick to what I am doing at the moment.

While all this job stuff has been going on, I have in fact been doing a lot more freelance work anyway, so I have probably been working about three days a week (although in bits!) and still doing most of the 'mum' stuff (packed lunches, after-school stuff, playdates and so on). The children still need a lot of input with their reading and homework, so I feel it is important to be with them and to give them the support they need. Working about three days in total is proving a good compromise, but I have also been very forgetful about day-to-day things with everything that has been going on, so feel that maybe full-time work would just send me over the edge!

I managed to finish my present for my friend's 40th birthday, only a few days late, and she was very pleased with it:


I like the changing colours of the hand-dyed silk yarn, and it knitted up as a beautifully soft fabric:

I was so tired yesterday that I thought I would treat myself to a morning at Stash, and cycled over there and had a lovely time just knitting and chatting with Nathalie and Michelle. It was great just to get away from the house for a couple of hours and do a bit of therapeutic knitting. I managed not to buy anything, although that is probably only because the Lorna's Laces yarn expected this week has not yet arrived!

I am making progress with my International Scarf Exchange gift and the yarn Nic dyed for me is knitting up beautifully (and I love the way everything looks against the new sofa!):

Here it is in close-up - the colours are knitting up to give a beautiful variegated fabric, and I love this chevron pattern too:

5 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

Sorry to hear about not getting the job! Oh well, sounds like you're busy enough as it is and you have time for more knitting! :)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Nickerjac said...

I'm not sure I should say sorry about getting the job or not as it sounds like you have come to a good compromise x
I love the way the yarn is coming out, want to know if its going to keep in the same pattern throughout :)

3:18 PM  
Anonymous carol said...

Sounds like the full time job would have been too much. 3 days a week is probably a good compromise. Having time to yourself is important I think too. Lovely scarves - the silk one in particular looks luscious.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous dawn said...

The scarf looks lovely, those colours go so well together.
I agree about the job, it doesn't sound as if you have enough free hours to fit it in!

5:19 PM  
Blogger HPNY Knits said...

the pattern you picked for this yarn is prefect! it looks great. more knitting time is a good thing!
:-)

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home