Monday, November 13, 2006

Super furry animals

On Sunday, for the first time in ages, I was clear enough of work for us all to enjoy a day out together. We decided to go to the Horniman museum to see Great White Bear, an exhibition of photographs of stuffed polar bears in the UK. This might seem a slightly macabre subject for an exhibition, but it was fascinating. The artists, Bryndís Snæbjörnsdóttir and Mark Wilson, spent several years trying to track down all the taxidermied polar bears in the UK and then photographed as many as they could. (And with a name like Snæbjörnsdóttir (Snow bear's daughter) I think I might have a slight obsession with polar bears too!) There are 34 bears in the exhibition (there should be 35, but the Horniman's own bear was sold in 1948 and its whereabouts is not currently known).

As you walk into the exhibition you are greeted by an impressive, fierce-looking creature standing on its hind legs, which towered above us all, making us realise how enormous these beautiful predators are. One photograph features a very sad bear, stored on a shelf next to a bicycle, but there is also David Puttnam's bear, who looks beautifully fluffy and furry, and who graces the Puttnams' London home.

Famous bears include the one owned by the Fox's Glacier Mint factory owner and who greets any house guests wearing a hat and carrying a bunch of tulip fairy lights. I wasn't able to take any photos of the exhibition, but Jill sent me this great picture of one of her holidays a while ago - she didn't see any polar bears, but this sign seems to indicate they might be around:


Other than polar bears, we enjoyed the museum hugely - the music room, where you can listen to a huge range of musical instruments, was particularly popular with the children. And I was even able to do some knitting in the journey across London and back!

Today I managed to post off my outstanding 'work-at-home' typescripts and now just need to catch up all all the housework I have been neglecting for the past few weeks (groan!) ... before going into the office tomorrow and Wednesday.

1 Comments:

Blogger HPNY Knits said...

I admire your ability to do the "chores" first. last weekend I did nothing of the sorts- it was all acts of avoidance...
at least i got some knitting done. in my defense I'd say the weather was horrid.
Snæbjörnsdóttir- thats cool!

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home