Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Birthday boy

I haven't posted for a few days because I have been knitting obsessively (even more obsessively than usual) since my last post and very late last night/early this morning finally finished Paul's sweater, just in time for his birthday! And here is the birthday boy wearing it:

I am really pleased with how this came out. It is a lovely pattern - well thought out like all Kim Hargreaves' patterns, and the shaping and details make the jumper special. The sleeves sit well in the armholes and the detail on the yoke is simple but effective. Paul was very pleased - I had abandoned trying to knit it in secret but he never asked what I was knitting so was very surprised when he unwrapped it!

I got quite a bit of knitting on it done on Saturday because Mary and I headed off to Bristol to check out the new Get Knitted shop. Mary very kindly drove (in her very groovy Mini - it really was a Mini adventure!) and I managed to get quite a bit of the jumper done in the car. Once we got to Bristol, we took a wrong turn but once we had established that the shop was on the A4, it was easy to find (they really do have a huge sign!):

Inside the shop, everywhere we looked there was yarn. Here is the Lorna's Laces:

and some Debbie Bliss, with tables piled high with sock yarn:

There was a good selection of Patons, including some lovely cottons and the Sublime yarns, which were very tempting:

I loved this stole and was lucky enough to find some reduced Cherry Tree Hill laceweight which I might knit it in:

We must have spent about four hours in the shop - it took that long to look at everything properly and decide finally what we wanted. There were supplies of tea and coffee (and chocolate chip cookies) and sofas to sit on and decide what to buy. Here is Mary surrounded by our bags of wool:

We had a great time and I would highly recommend a visit to the shop - a perfect way to spend a wet Saturday!

4 Comments:

Blogger HPNY Knits said...

the jumper looks lovely and cosy! what a great "mini" adventure. anything that has yarn and tea is worth getting lost for...
:-)

1:09 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

What a beautiful sweater. I'm not surprised he didn't realize it was for him. Before Christmas I knit three hats. One for each of my boys and hubby and not a one of them realized I might be knitting something for them. Silly guys!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous dawn said...

Nice jumper, it's really quite easy to knit in front of men, they hardly ever take real notice of what's on the needles. GK is great isn't it, and I see you bought lots of goodies - good job you had the car to transport your haul home!

10:54 AM  
Blogger kris said...

Very nice sweater! What a great color too! I am sooooo jealous of Get Knitted! Next time I go to the UK, I MUST go there!!!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home