Sunday, February 25, 2007

Centenary

I can't believe how the time has flown since I last blogged - nearly two weeks! But, in my defence, I have been working (too late into the night for the past couple of weeks), and building work has started on our bathroom. Our bathroom was two rooms:

and we are having it knocked into one, with the wall extended out to incorporate the bit of landing in front of the old loo to give us one room. It involves a lot of work (and dust!) and I have been preoccupied with clearing out the old rooms, moving everything off the landing and generally trying to deal with the house in even more of a mess than usual. I shall be so glad not to have those navy blue tiles any more - they show every splash and mark!

To compound things, it was half-term last week (the builders started on the first day of half-term!) and so I have been trying to keep the children out of their way too. As part of my 'getting them out of the house' scheme we went on a trip to Fishbourne Roman Palace last week. Ellen is doing the Romans at school and I thought we could go and see some Roman artefacts first hand. We went with some friends and I have to say how impressed I was with the activities that were laid on for the children. Fishbourne is the most intact Roman villa in Britain and there are beautiful mosaics to see, which were discovered only comparatively recently, in 1963:

The floor undulates as the mosaics were found in a field, and they have subsided over the centuries. The children were able to dress up as Romans and Lily got stuck in to most activities, building a coiled clay pot and baking bread. It really was a fantastic day out, and the children really enjoyed it as well as (hopefully) learning a bit about the Romans.

I had a surprise package from Kris, who was my Secret Pal in SP8 - she sent me this gorgeous yarn in greens and purples which she found in a German store she has just discovered - thank you so much Kris!

I have managed a bit of knitting over the past couple of weeks - another baby kimono for Edward's teacher who went on maternity leave recently, knitted up in the gorgeous Lorna's Laces sent to me by Mindy!

And this is my hundredth post! To celebrate, some sock yarn is on offer for the 10th commenter from this post! Please leave me your email address so I can get it touch!

10 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

The mosaic is just gorgeous. Those always fascinate me. How lucky you are to have one nearby. There are a few in museums here but of course that's different.

4:00 PM  
Blogger ambermoggie said...

won't be tenth but congrats anyway:)
amber in scotland

6:11 PM  
Blogger Nickerjac said...

Congrats on your hundreth entry :)Glad you survived half term.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Brena said...

The Roman place sounds like so much fun. Congratulations on your 100th post!

7:37 PM  
Anonymous dawn said...

congratulations on your 100th post! I don't need yarn(!) so I'll pave the way for someone else. What a fabulous day out, a great way to learn about the Romans.

10:56 PM  
Blogger HPNY Knits said...

good luck with the renovation! I love your new yarn. lovely.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

That sounds like a great trip.

Congrats on your 100th entry.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Kris said...

damn! number 8! congrats on your 100th post!

11:21 AM  
Blogger KellyD said...

Oooooo! So close! Congrats on 100! Hope you have 100 more soon!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Megan said...

Well, i just couldn't resist saying i love reading your blog, love the colours of the kimono jacket and good luck with the bathroom! you'll be dusting for months!
Megan in York
megan_jones1ATyahooDOTcom

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home