Friday, March 02, 2007

Eat your heart out, Audrey Hepburn

Well, my 10th commenter on the last post was Megan and this lovely skein of Curious Yarns sock yarn (complete with contrast yarn for heels and toes) went off to her in the post yesterday:

Congratulations, Megan - hope you enjoy it. And thank you to everyone who took the time to comment - it is great to get feedback.

The bathroom is coming on - the wall is demolished, the new one built and the plastering nearly finished - just the landing wall to go. In the meantime, the bath is in and the tiling has started, so we are getting there. There is, however, dust everywhere!

I am trying to ignore the dust and to console myself with some knitting and have started making this:

It is 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' from Cherry Tree Hill. I bought the pattern from the Woolly Workshop and the ever-helpful Gill, and was really pleased to find a pattern for the yarn. The yarn is Oceania, a 100% wool boucle with a strand of lurex running through it to give it some glitter. Mary and I each bought a skein from Get Knitted when we went down there and mine is in the Martha's vineyard colourway:

I have never knitted anything sparkly before and it is fun! It took ages to wind into a ball but it is knitting up quite quickly on 5.5mm needles so I am hoping it will not be too epic a project! It is for me, and my track record of finishing things for myself is not as good as finishing things for others!

And I wonder whether anyone knows whether this might have been a kit. In one of my local charity shops I found this:


Loads of Rowan's Kaffe Fassett kid silk and some long-discontinued Designer DK in gorgeous colours. I cannot quite believe that I found this treasure trove and have no idea what to make with it. Any ideas out there?

And, as ever, Dawn is very on the ball as far as exchanges go and, taking a leaf out of her book I, too, have signed up for International Scarf Exchange 4. I am really looking forward to finding out who I am knitting for!

8 Comments:

Anonymous dawn said...

Didn't Linda lose her KF kit? Wonder if it's part of that! What a wonderful bargain, I've all but given up on charity shops and yarn. Love the Breakfast at Tiffany's pattern. Glad to see you're in the scarf exchange!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous carol said...

What a great find. It almost certainly looks like it could have been part or all of a kit at sometime. Love the tiffany pattern - I have not seen that one before.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Brigid said...

What a great find. Do you think there would be enough to make a Kaffe Fasset waistcoat?

7:34 PM  
Blogger HPNY Knits said...

that is a Roawn treasure!!!

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Jill said...

What treasure trove! I feel sure it must have been part of a kit that someone gave up on, brilliant idea of Brigid's about the poppy waistcoat though.

11:58 PM  
Anonymous kris said...

Whoa, that IS a great find! You are just so lucky! Can't wait to see your *finished* sweater!

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Megan said...

Well I am the very happy recipient of the 10th commenter prize! The yarn arrived yesterday and i'm busy planning which socks to make in order to show off the lovely rich colours...
And Wow! What a lucky charity shop haul! I love bonanza finds like that!
Megan

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Fiona said...

Lucky you -what a gorgeous selection. Also I'm very envious of Megan , those are lovely colours!

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home