Thursday, April 19, 2007

More cakes than most

Today is a special day in our house. Edward and Lily are 6 today! I find it amazing that they are 6 already - time seems elastic - parts of it seem to go slow, other parts go very fast! They were due on 19 May and arrived exactly one month early, much to my surprise! Because they went back to school today I spent yesterday morning making cakes for them to take in today. We had fairy cakes as far as the eye could see:



I managed to get the cakes done before I went to work yesterday and had three willing helpers who decorated them and finished off the contents of the bowl afterwards:



So it is back to reality after our short stay in YHA Bath. We managed to leave on Friday afternoon so did get away eventually, if rather later than planned. From the outside the hostel looks like an Italian villa (although the accommodation is a bit more basic on the inside):



The great thing about this hostel is that it does catering so I had a real break from the cooking, and the gardens offer perfect surroundings and materials for building a den:



We did the tourist bit and went to see the Roman baths (and drink the obligatory glass of warm spring water - yuk)



Ellen has been studying bridges at school and so we looked at Pulteney Bridge, one of only four bridges in the world to have shops on both sides:



We also walked round the city and looked at some of the beautiful Regency architecture, including The Circus



As part of our bridges tour we also visited Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol and climbed up to the camera obscura (the only one open to the public in the UK) and down to the Giant's cave for a visit, which was great fun:



On the knitting front, I am on the second sleeve of Tiffany's and about halfway through the scarf, so some progress, mostly in the car on the way there and back. I am itching to start something new but won't until I have finished at least one project on the needles! Watch this space...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Brigid said...

Nice to see pics of Bath. I spent 8 years there at boarding school! In the summer I'm going back with an old school friend for a short break and will be checking up on old haunts.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Happy Birthday Edward and Lily! The cakes look delicious, yum! The vacation looks idyllic. I could wander around such places happily for hours on end though I suspect Jason might eventually get a bit bored. We always search for a bit of cool old stuff for me and a bit of cool modern stuff for him. ;) Love your gorgeous pictures, most especially of the den.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous kris said...

Happy Birthday to Edward and Lily! Those fairy cakes look delicious! What are those things on the top? I've wanted to see the Roman Baths in Bath, but the water makes it looks so uninviting - and you drank it??? :)

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Linda said...

Happy Birthday to Edward and Lily!! Hope they have had a great day. Bath is great, I loved your photos. I too thought the spring water tasted horrible! See you in a couple of weeks.

9:37 PM  
Blogger HPNY Knits said...

Happy Birthday! you are a good mom. I buy the cup cakes. they look delicious! nice pix of your trip.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous dawn said...

Happy birthday, Edward and Lily! I can't believe they're turning six, when you came into Stash they looked a lot older (taller). I bet they were popular at school!

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Happy birthday Edward and Lily! Cakes look good enough to eat.....your photos make me want to re-visit Bath, always one of our favourite places.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home