Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Glamour girl

At the weekend I knit determinedly on Tiffany's and finished it at last:


I am really pleased with the fit of this - it is a great, slightly glamorous knit and I am looking forward to wearing it. It will be less of an everyday cardigan and more of a 'night out' knit! It is of course too hot to wear it at the moment, but it will be perfect if I am going out in the evening.

I am also making good progress with my Debbie Bliss knit for my friend and have done the back and one front and am on the second front. I really like the two shades of blue I am using (part of my haul from my trip to Get Knitted):



At the weekend my friend also brought round a very exciting bag full of these:



Yup, Knitpicks Options sets! He was fantastically kind and brought these back for me and some members of my knitting group from a trip to New York. Unfortunately one set was missing, but Julie has stepped into the breach and so my set will be arriving a bit later. We are all very excited about trying out these needles as we have heard great things about them. Knitpicks do not ship directly to the UK so trying to get hold of them is a real saga but my friend and Julie have been kind enough to help! Thank you so much!

On Saturday I gave the last class for the girls I have been teaching to knit for their Duke of Edinburgh Award and they gave me some delicious Neuhaus chocolates as a thank you gift - so yummy!



And the children were very excited this weekend to find their very own Charlotte's web in the shed. I couldn't get a very good photo but there were hundreds of baby spiders all making their way out into the big wide world!



On a more sober note, this week has been a fairly awful one for our school. Last Wednesday I was sitting at my desk before heading off to my knitting group and could hear endless sirens. I even commented to Fiona at the knitting group about it. It wasn't until I got home from work that evening that I discovered that a friend of mine, her mother and her 2-year-old daughter had all been hit by a bus at the 209 bus station near where I live. Her mother was killed and her daughter has had to have one of her legs amputated below the knee. My friend needs surgery on her legs although she has not broken anything, but they are badly damaged. We are all shocked at this terrible tragedy and I have been able to think of little else. Everyone in the area uses the bus station all the time and I walk past there most days. That three generations of one family can be devastated in this way is just too awful for words. We are all thinking of them and hoping that they will be able to come to terms with this terrible tragedy. Please think positive thoughts for them all.

7 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I'm only too happy to help out with a bit of shipping. I'm down at the post office quite regularly anyway so it's not as if it's any trouble at all. ;)

I'm so sorry to hear about the bus accident and will keep them in my thoughts.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Fiona said...

Great to see you in Tiffanys- you must bring it in on Wednesday so we can have a closer look at it in all its glory! Your children were very lucky with the baby spiders - my daughter is similarly Charlottes web obsessed and will be so jealous when I show her the picture!
It's very hard to think what to say about the accident, some things are just too awful - my heart goes out to the family. Fiona x

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Nathalie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend and her family. I will be thinking about them.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous dawn said...

Lovely cardigan, the colour really suits you. What sad about your friend, my heart goes out to her and her daughter.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

The sweater is gorgeous!

What a horrible thing to happen. My thoughts are with them.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Jill said...

I heard about this accident, and thought how awful it was, but I didn't know it was quite so close to home. How catastrophic for the family - all one can do is to hope they get all the support and help they need.

10:35 PM  
Blogger knitseashore said...

Your sweater (jumper) is lovely and I hope you will have a lot of enjoyment with it.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend's mother, and also her and her daughter's injury in the accident. What a terrible experience. I hope they will heal soon.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home