Sunday, June 03, 2007

Stormy weather

We arrived back from Devon yesterday, predictably coming home in bright sunshine after a week of very mixed weather. Sunshine and showers were the order of the day, with some high winds thrown in for good measure. The sea was wild at times, but I love it when it is crashing on to the shoreline:


We did have some sunshine which meant time on the beach for the children, which they loved. The coastal reinforcements at Lyme Regis have finished and there is now a good deal of sand to play in around the harbour:


I love Lyme, with its pretty houses along the seafront:


Last year when we went to Lyme there was a wool shop, A Stitch in Lyme, and I was disappointed to find that this had closed down, although it is now on the internet as InTo Knit, stocking Bergere de France and Opal yarns.

On wetter days we visited some nearby attractions, and I think my favourite was Forde Abbey, a beautiful former medieval monastery with lovely gardens:


It boasts the highest powered fountain in England, which shoots up water to a height of 160 feet. The spray travels a long way!


Well-fed chickens roam the grounds, which here are sheltering from yet another shower (clever things!):


We visited the fabulous Riverside Restaurant at West Bay on a stormy Sunday, and had an exhilarating walk on the beach to work up an appetite:


Because my mum was with us I managed to get lots of knitting done in the evenings and yesterday evening finished off the Debbie Bliss cardigan. I could have finished it on holiday but had not taken a brown ball of yarn with me as I was undecided about the trim. In the end I decided to do the contrast trim and am really pleased with the result:


How cute is that? This was a lovely knit, made lovelier by the fact that some Addi Lace needles I had ordered from Get Knitted arrived the day we left so I knitted most of it on those. They are great to work with - smooth, pointy and make manoeuvring stitches easy.

Sabine asked me whether I had seen Saartje's adorable bootee pattern and of course I checked out Saartje's blog for a peek. How could I resist?



My friend's baby will be well kitted out now and I am done well before the deadline for her C-section! And now I need to finish my mystery knitting and get on with a jumper for James, master purveyor of Knitpicks Options, who has a big birthday coming up in July! I plan to knit Beau again as it worked out so well for Paul:


I have lots of other knitting plans in my head, and also need to decide on what to knit for this year's Rowan exchange. I'll keep you posted...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jill said...

Love the bootee pattern, funnily enough I was looking for one! I love the variations on her blog, too.

I thought of you in Devon this week, pleased to see you had some sunshine at least.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Fiona said...

Your friend and her baby are in for a real treat - the jacket and bootees are just gorgeous! Will we get to see them on Wednesday? I hope so !

5:22 PM  
Anonymous bockstark knits said...

looks like a great trip and the cardi and booties are just ADORABLE!!! i'll have to knit some of those for friends!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Linda said...

Your friend will be delighted with the jacket and bootees Ingrid, they're great. Glad you had a good week despite the unsettled weather - see you Wednesday.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home