Saturday, August 11, 2007

Summer fun

The children have reverted to squabbling a bit as the summer holidays progress and so I have this past week used my tried and trusted technique of taking them out every morning to give them a good run. We have usually taken a picnic and then come back in the afternoon, when they have got rid of their excess energy and play better together. I enjoy going out, but my ploy to wear them out is wearing me out too, particularly as I am working a lot and seem to have a million things to do! This past week we have been to Richmond Park, Kew Gardens and the Wetlands Centre, which are all within easy reach of home (lucky us!). And now that summer is finally here, what better way to cool down on a hot day than running under the raining clouds at the Wetlands Centre:


All the outdoor play that has been going on means that I have grabbed every opportunity while they are entertained to get out my knitting. I have finally finished this baby kimono which had been languishing because I ran out of yarn (I am using Artyarns Supermerino and I just love the colours). I managed to find some more on eBay and finally finished it and gave it to a friend at school, who was really pleased. Again, it is the baby kimono from Mason-Dixon Knitting, a pattern I love and which is perfect for a newborn:


So perfect, that I knitted another one for Brigid's appeal:


I plan to knit a couple more over the next couple of weeks before sending them off to her and hope to manage a hat or two as well. I also want to devote a bit of time to thinking about crafts for the school fair as I have been asked to help with this. Does anyone have any ideas about good sellers that are relatively quick to make?

I have been rather bogged down with work, so much so that I am now having to turn down jobs (the summer always gets very busy, as does Christmas, which is always hard to factor in to everything else) - not that I am complaining! I am so looking forward to going to the Isle of Wight next week for a bit of bucket and spading.

I seem once again to have put knitting for myself on the back burner in my efforts to knit for others. I will take some knitting for myself to the Isle of Wight, but want to finish all the baby garments first. Dawn and Polly have the sensible idea of posting lists of planned knitting on their blogs at the beginning of each month - perhaps I should join them (lists are my kind of thing!) next month.

We went to a family celebration (golden wedding anniversary) last weekend too and here is Lily the party girl (wearing the gold ribbon from the cake in her hair) enjoying herself immensely (and that is Coke she is drinking - not merlot!):


I have signed up for another round of Secret Pal and am looking forward to meeting some more knitters. I have so enjoyed the last round - it has been fun to meet Sabine and Melanie!

3 Comments:

Blogger HPNY Knits said...

I had to sit down just reading all your activities! no wonder your ploy to wear them out is wearing you out as well! it does sound like fun. summer is a good time to knit little things like the adorable kimono jacket. mindless, sweet, fast.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Brigid said...

I love the kimono - looking forward to getting it for the Kisiizi box! By the way the shipment isn't going until October, so I'm extending the deadline to 30 September.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous dawn said...

Yes, lovely kimono. Yes, please do lists, I love lists, and I especially love other people's lists (knitting!).

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home