Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Knitfest

The past few days have been frantically busy but have also been great fun. Sabine and Kris came over from Berlin and Munich to go to the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace. Kris came to stay after she had been to the show but Sabine and I went together, along with three other knitting friends, Jill, Fiona and Tessa. I had such a great time!

The morning Sabine arrived I was spoiled rotten by my Secret Pal Dorene when the postman brought this fantastic skein of Handmaiden Casbah through the post, sent by Socktopus. Everything about this parcel was wonderful - the silver package, the pink tissue paper, the utterly luxurious cashmere and wool yarn, and the completely adorable stitch marker, which I just love to bits! I had never seen this yarn before and the colours are so intense and the yarn is so soft that it is just gorgeous! Thank you so much, Dorene!


This was the start of a yarn-filled weekend. Before we even got to Ally Pally Sabine gave me some gorgeous chocolate (which we ate before I could take a photo), some wonderfully aromatic coffee and some fabulous shawl patterns, including the Mountain Peaks and Seraphim shawls, which I have been eyeing up.

Ally Pally was just wonderful. There was a really fantastic range of stalls and so much to see that we barely managed to look at everything we wanted to in the time we had (and we had the whole day!). I even met Alice from Socktopus while we were there - the stall looked fabulous - so much temptation!

I was very taken with the Knitwitches yarns and couldn't resist this silk:


There were all kinds of yarn I hadn't seen before. I resisted the qiviut but succumbed to the yak yarn by Shokay, which I am planning to knit the Baby Yoda jacket with:


The Natural Dye Studio had some truly wonderful colours and both Sabine and I couldn't resist the silk - it has a fantastic sheen to it and each strand is so beautiful. Mine is now a hot contender for the Seraphim shawl:


Sabine designs patterns and has had a few published in both Magknits and Knitty and so we visited Kerrie at the Hipknits stall, where I couldn't resist the new issue of Yarn Forward, which looks great. I just love Nic's mitts on the front cover!


And I simply couldn't resist this handspun cashmere from Shilasdair:


Kris came to stay on Friday night (she went to Ally Pally on Thursday) and Sabine, Kris and I had a lovely day knitting and chatting with Michelle, Nathalie and Zoe at Stash. Here I am with Kris and Sabine:


Kris also brought me this fabulous yarn from Wollmeise - some laceweight and some sock yarn, and the cutest project bag which she had made herself:




While at Stash I managed to finish my shrug for my sister, and tonight I met up with her and gave it to her (it is her birthday next week). She loved it! I am so pleased, and it is a great fit - it really suits her! Here is a friend modelling it before I wrapped it up:


I can cross that off October's list!

3 Comments:

Blogger twigletqueen said...

Wow, fantastic yarn haul! I wish I'd had the chance to go to Ally Pally this year, it looks like it was brilliant.

Love the shrug, I bet your sister's pleased with it.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Nickerjac said...

I really wish I could take responsibilty for the wonderful mittens on the front cover but they are by another wonderful Nic

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Didn't we have a great day.....those shawl patterns are fantastic, can't wait to see you do one in that gorgeous silk.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home