Monday, October 08, 2007

Very Mooreish

Yesterday the weather was beautiful in the morning and, as Paul was heading off to work, I decided to pack a picnic and take the children to Kew. There is a big Henry Moore exhibition on at Kew at the moment - the largest outdoor exhibition of his work ever held in London. I must admit that Kew is a perfect setting for his curvaceous sculptures, which sit quietly in the landscape, looking stunning:


Although I like his figure work, particularly the imagery of mother and
baby (like this one),


I love his sculptures that play with space and shape, like this one, based on an elephant skull:


and this one, which is a representation of a totem head


We didn't manage to see all of them, but the exhibition is on until March and we can go plenty more times as the seasons move on. I think the idea is to see how the sculptures alter in the changing landscape, so it will be interesting to revisit them many more times over the next few weeks and months.

Already, it is colder and the squirrels are already becoming braver in their quest for autumn snacks. The children kept trying to give this one bits of their lunch and nuts they found in the gardens:


My sister's shrug is making progress - I have almost finished the body and hope to finish it and pick up the border for the ribbing tonight. The yarn is so pretty and is lovely and springy - it is great to knit with and the colours are beautiful:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jill said...

I would like to go and see these too, it looks as if they are very suitably displayed and sited. Am wondering if you have to pay to see them, as well as the entrance fee....sadly I no longer have an annual pass!

Shrug looks great, haven't got past the ribbing on mine....I think you ought to do one for yourself!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

What beautiful sculptures! Kew is definitely on my list of places I'd like to go as I did study botany before I got into the whole gene jockey thing.

12:22 AM  
Blogger SaRi said...

Oh Ingrid, your work is all so beautiful. Your baby kimonos are so cute, I could just get pregnant for them.
Fantastic shrug. Do you think I can talk your parents into adopting me?

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home