Monday, January 28, 2008

Daphne's baby cape

I seem to have been knitting Daphne's baby cape from Knit 2 Together forever. I started it ages ago and then got completely bored with it as it starts off with about 260 stitches and is just garter stitch. I should have read up on the internet about other knitters' experience of the pattern more thoroughly as well because once I got going in earnest over Christmas, I soon figured out that three skeins of Cascade 220 was going to be woefully inadequate to complete the project. I am not the only person to have had this problem.

But, despite the tedium or endless garter stitch and the irritation of having to buy another skein of yarn in a different dyelot (grrr!), I finally finished it, and it is lovely. No baby was available to model it, so I borrowed Edward's teddy:


I added some vintage buttons - I like the detail of the two close together at the neck:


The hood is nicely shaped at the back:


and I decided to do the optional loop trim around the hood - and it is so pretty, I'm glad I did:


Of the fourth skein there is very little left:


This pattern seems to be so out on quantities that I have emailed the publisher and am waiting for a response. If anyone out there is planning to knit this, you will need four skeins of Cascade 220, not three!

All the hassle was worth it, though, as I think it is so cute and am very pleased with the finish and the detailing of the shaping on the cape.

There has been an unexpected victim of this winter's norovirus. One of Edward's friends threw up all over her poncho, and her mum, in her panic, put it in the washing machine (along with the loose covers for the sofa). Oops! Felting disaster! Edward's friend was distraught and her mum asked if I would kindly knit another one. They don't take long so I agreed:


I only have enough yarn for one more - I think it will be a relief to stop knitting them, although they are very popular with the children's friends!

Lily has also been doing a bit of sewing:


As you can see, she is still in her pink phase, but her little purse is so sweet I couldn't resist posting it!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Linda said...

I love the little red ridinghood cape Ingrid. I can imagine a little face nestling in that hood and even Edward's teddy looked good in it! Congratulations to Lily on a fabulous little purse very creative. See you soon.

1:19 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

The little hood is too cute! I think the optional loop stitch SHOULDN'T be optional! Everytime I read "norovirus" I think of the yarn. :) And Lily is an excellent sewer, such a cute little purse!!!

7:19 AM  
Blogger SaRi said...

The cape is very lovely, especially the loop border.
Congratulations to Lily on her terrific purse.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Fiona said...

The cape is absolutely gorgeous - I'd better not show Sarah your pictures or she'll have me making it for one of her teddies!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Julie O said...

I,too, started knitting Daphne's baby cape last year, ran out of yarn and had to order another skein from a different dye lot. I was disgusted and quit. I picked it up again last week and finished except for the loop trim. I am having difficulty with the loop stitch. Are you willing to give any advice on how to do that stitch. I would appreciate it. I love your cape...I knit my in red as well. Thank you.

6:45 PM  
Blogger knittingingrid said...

Hi Julie
In response to your question about the loop stitch, you put the right-hand needle through the stitch on the left-hand needle as if to knit it but instead of knitting it you wind the yarn around your left index finger twice between the needles. On the third time between the needles you pull the three loops through the stitch on the left-hand needle, do a YO and then pass the three loops over that YO. The loops will be at the back of the work. If you still have trouble, then leave me your email address and I'll try to explain further. The pattern is obviously wrong on yarn quantities - but boy was it annoying to find that out! The red is so cute - like Little Red Riding Hood! Good luck - it is worth persevering! xx

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home