Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

I always like the first day of the new year as I enjoy reviewing the year that has been and anticipating the year to come. Before looking back at last year's resolutions, I thought I would do a quick review of December's goals:

1. Finish ISE scarf and mail it by the end of next week at the latest. Done! This was a bit of a struggle, but I managed to get it done, and, even better, Janice loved it - phew! It took forever to knit because for some reason I simply couldn't memorise the pattern - Louisa Harding's Divine scarf. I knitted it in Silkwood's lovely angora yarn, which was so soft and cuddly!


The lace pattern is very pretty:


2. Knit yet another baby kimono for someone at work - by next week if possible. Done!

3. Knit the Forest Canopy shawl (I am now planning to give this to my stepmother for Christmas, so I had better get going). Done - just in the nick of time before we went to Ireland to stay with my Dad and stepmother for Christmas! I am very pleased with this:


And a close-up, showing the leaves better:


As everyone says, this is a great pattern - and so pleasurable to knit. This is knitted in the gorgeous Casbah Dorene gave me - and it was beautiful to knit with and so pretty when finished. The colours and sheen of the yarn are just gorgeous. My stepmother loved it! So, thank you again, Dorene!
4. Knit a secret something as a gift. Done! This was a hat, but I omitted to take a photo (although I knitted it in the same yarn as the kimono) - sorry!
5. Knit some wristers for a friend's mum. Done! I knitted these in Cascade Handpaint, and they turned out beautifully! I managed to knit them on the M6 on the way to Ireland - amazing what 430 miles of travelling can achieve!


6. Knit three scarves for the children's teachers. Done - all in Misti alpaca, like last year!

I didn't have any time for blogging what with all the knitting, but am slightly amazed that I managed to get it all done. We also had the school fair on the 15th and the craft stall raised £588, which was fantastic - all that knitting paid off in more ways than one.

Everyone liked their knitted Christmas gifts, so I am delighted. I also got a fantastic final parcel from my secret pal, which had the most gorgeous skein of Yarn Pirate yarn in it and a beautiful Lantern Moon needle case:


I don't know how Dorene managed to get hold of this yarn as it seems to be a rare and wonderful thing, but I love, love, love it and am really looking forward to making something with it - possibly a hat. Here is some of its lusciousness:


Thank you so much Dorene! You have been a fantastic pal and have thoroughly spoiled me!

On looking back at this year's goals I have not done so well. Following FlyLady did not happen as I had hoped and planned, although the past month I have been gradually thinning things out and plan to carry on with this. I am determined to make some progress on this and figure that I am now more motivated than before.

And, again I have spent a lot of time knitting for others and have still not finished the Debbie Bliss cardigan for me. I am knitting Daphne's baby cape from Knit 2 Together at the moment, which, I have to say, is driving me a bit mad as it is all garter stitch and rather tedious, and I am convinced that I will run out of yarn. Looking at other blog entries, I see that this has been a problem for other knitters too. How frustrating!

So, here are January's knitting goals:
1. Finish Daphne's baby cape by 12 January.
2. Start a waistcoat for Paul for his birthday.
3. Knit a beret for my friend Chris.
4. Knit a beret for another friend who loves my Flames beret and wants one in a different colour.
5. Finish sleeves of Debbie Bliss cardigan.

As I also have a set of proofs for a book on my desk to work through, this may be over-ambitious, but I can try to achieve all this and will keep you posted on my progress with FlyLady! Here's to a happy and healthy 2008 and thank you all for reading - I appreciate every comment! Happy New Year!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

Happy New Year! Some of your goals will be fairly quick knits, but the waistcoat and the sleeves might take a while! You did very well in your December knitting. Have you seen the Misti cowl pattern? That might be good for next Christmas!

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Hi Ingrid, good to have you back. I did the cowl pattern, have been wearing it non-stop yesterday, today and probably tomorrow, in the house even. It was intended as an emergency present, but in the event was not needed, I'm glad to say. You certainly accomplished a lot in December....

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home