Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tidying fever

Well, I have been most remiss about posting to my poor blog. I think it is because I have been trying to finish off all my freelance projects and because of general tidying fever which has gripped me since I accepted the offer of my new job. My knitting has been rather neglected in the face of my wardrobe overhaul (got to look the part) and determined efforts to sort out the clutter. This week I took six bags to the charity shops and am still sorting. I do feel good about it but tomorrow is Paul's birthday and I have not managed to finish his waistcoat from the fabulous Classic Knits for Men, which is a lovely book. I am knitting the cover project:


Part of the problem is that you really need to knit this in daylight, as the yarns blend together in the general evening gloom. Now that the days are getting a bit longer I am hoping to finish this off before too long. It is also one of those projects where you can be knitting and knitting and no progress seems to be made!

I have also been doing some reading. Margaret sent me this brilliant link to a book called Hungry Planet. It is absolutely fascinating what different families around the world eat and the huge variety in quantities and types of food from one country to another.

So, rather belatedly, how did I do on January's knitting goals?
1. Finish Daphne's baby cape by 12 January. Done - slightly later than hoped for, but finished, and very cute it was too!
2. Start a waistcoat for Paul for his birthday. Started but it won't be finished in time.
3. Knit a beret for my friend Chris. Done - the brown one.
4. Knit a beret for another friend who loves my Flames beret and wants one in a different colour. Done - the blue one.
5. Finish sleeves of Debbie Bliss cardigan. Not done.

What does this tell me? Smaller projects are obviously easier to complete than big ones, and as usual I seem to be able to knit for others but not for myself. I would really like to finish some things I am making for myself, though, as I want to wear them to work! So, although we are halfway through February, I am planning to finish some things for others for the rest of this month and then in March hope to do more 'me' knitting.

Goals for February (what's left of it) are:

1. Finish another beret I am knitting for me.
2. Knit a shawl for a neighbour who is ill with cancer.
3. Knit a shawl for the school raffle (yes, another one!).
4. Make some progress on Paul's waistcoat.
5. Knit something for a friend's baby.

And half of February has elapsed already - help!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

You'll easily manage the beret, a baby garment (kimono!), some progress on the waistcoat, and a shawl for your neighbour, who would benefit from something thick and cosy (and quick!). I think you might even manage a school shawl too, between trips to the charity shops. Good luck!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

You'll easily manage the beret, a baby garment (kimono!), some progress on the waistcoat, and a shawl for your neighbour, who would benefit from something thick and cosy (and quick!). I think you might even manage a school shawl too, between trips to the charity shops. Good luck!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Fiona said...

Such a shame you weren't able to come to Stash today - you were missed -but very best of luck for when you start the new job!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home